Summer Internships in Research and Data Science
Do you want to experience being part of an international research team that values transparent research, rigorous methods, and collaboration among scholars, policymakers, and civil societies? Apply for a Summer Internship at GLD! Besides learning new skills, you'll gain valuable work experience from a research environment and enhance your employability by getting the chance to put your academic knowledge into practice.
We are currently looking for highly motivated, flexible, and self-driven people interested in governance and development who want to work in a fast-paced research environment. We offer internships in research and data science.
How to Apply!
In order to apply, you must be a student currently enrolled in a bachelor's or a master’s program that offers the opportunity to do an internship during the summer months (May-July) or enrolled with the Swedish unemployment agency with at least a bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Gender Studies, Global Studies, Social Sciences, Economics, Statistics, or a related field.
- You must be able to spend at least 50% of your internship on-site at the GLD office in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Submit your application before February 28, 2024.
Application link: https://form.jotform.com/233243470300341
All decisions are made at the discretion of the program coordination team and are final. As this is an unpaid internship, final decisions cannot be appealed.
Tasks vary in terms of project needs. Current tasks include: writing background reports and internal memorandums, drafting literature reviews, and assisting with research dissemination.
- Great organizational skills
- Good command of English (both written and verbally)
- Demonstrable interest in governance/development issues
- Ability to multitask
Knowledge of Arabic, French, or Swedish is an asset
You Want to
- Work with academic research
- Improve your research skills for future studies and work-life
Gain experience from working with tools such as Zotero
- Get greater insight into international research cooperation
Work with GLD Data! Tasks are assigned on a case-by-case basis based on skillset and team needs. Possible tasks include data collecting, data cleaning, assisting with modelling and analysis, and creating figures and tables for reports, articles, and other publications.
- At least an introductory knowledge of quantitative methodology and/or data handling
- Basic working knowledge of R or Stata
- Basic knowledge of data visualization
You Want to:
- Gain experience working with real/raw data
- Improve your skills in R or Stata
- Practice performing basic statistical analyses
- Improve/Practice your data visualization skills
- Gain additional skills such as: writing reports in LaTeX, making maps in QGIS, or creating dissemination materials in Prezi.